Re: Wheel Bearing Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Question
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:24:47 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 08:14 AM 6/24/98 -0400, Jeff Boatright wrote:
>Philip,
>
>I just bought a new front bearing kit for my '65.  What you describe for
>the outer bearing looks like my new outer bearing. I buy a lot of my stuff
>from Atlanta Imported Auto Parts, including this bearing set. They are
>experienced. Due to your posts and the experiences of one of the members of
>the local chapter of the AHCA, I queried AIAP about these new bearings.
>According to them, you can't get a straight replacement for spridget front
>bearings anymore. The bearings they sold me are the same ones that they've
>sold for several years. They also race with them. They also said that there
>are  many suppliers of these bearings and that they have not had problems
>with any of them. Mine say 'England' and 'thrust' on the outside of the
>larger race. The AHCA member had problems with a set made in Taiwan.
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Jeff

That helps a lot, Jeff.  Thanks very much.  Mine also say "England" and
"thrust" on the outside of the larger race so I feel better that I don't
have some Taiwanese knock-off.  I also described my bearings to a guy at
work who used to be a mechanic and he also seemed to think they were ok.
That's three votes for using the ones I got and my own visual inspection so
things look good.  I'm heading to the garage now to at least reassemble one
side tonight.  Who knows, with luck, I may also get the rotor bolts unstuck
on the passenger's side too.  They have been sprayed liberally with Liquid
Wrench for several days now and I've got my trusty impact driver ready to
go.  :)

Thanks to all for advice on the wheel bearings.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget