RE: U-haul trailers - question

To: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: U-haul trailers - question
From: Skip Tannen <Tannen@googolbox.babson.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:09:47 -0400
Cc: Spridget mail list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Steve,

I posed that question to the list back in April and got an incredible
number of varied responses from yes to no to "made it work"!  The most
creative was the person that rented a large box truck and drove his
Spridget up into the back!

I finally went over to a U-haul dealer that had an Auto Transport in
stock (they are REALLY hard to come by, at least in the Northeast) and
measured it.  A Spridget would have fit fine if it wasn't for the metal
lips on the inside of the tire rails.  Instead of having a full bed
across the width of the trailer, the Auto Transports have two metal
"tracks" that are wide enough to drive up on, but the inside edges have
this turned up lip at about a 30 degree angle just where a Spridget tire
would rest!  I guess that's why they won't rent you one if you tell them
you have a Sprite or Midget...

I guess you could block under the tires so they don't rest on that lip,
but I didn't feel it was safe enough.

Skip Tannen
'65 MKIII Sprite