Battery Replacement

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery Replacement
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 16:03:20 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks to my fellow Spridgeteers concerning advice on my supposedly bad
starter.

Of course, the list pointed out that it is also quite possible that it is
the battery and not my starter.  Jumping from our Honda Civic prooved that
to be right on.  Now, is it bad battery or just a dead battery?

I finally had a chance to take it to be tested.  First place tested it and
said "it's shot" pretty quickly.  I didn't see the guage readings and they
were so eager to sell me a very expensive battery that I had my doubts.  So
I took it to contestant number 2.  Second place said it was fine.  I saw
the guage and it did look fine until he put a load on it....down went the
needle.  Not thinking too clearly, I bought a charger.  Driving around for
other car parts I got to thinking that a third opinion might not hurt.

Contestant number 3 explained it to me better.  Told me it =was= shot.
When I said that I wasn't sure before coming in whether it was bad or just
needed charging he let me know that it =was= charged.  Hence the good
initial reading.  However, he said that as soon as there was a load it went
dead.  So I bought a batter for about $20 cheaper than the first store,
still have a charger that I'll need sometime anyway and solved the mystery
of why my poor Midget wouldn't start.

Thanks for all the answers.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget