Re: "Funny" Leaf Springs

To: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject: Re: "Funny" Leaf Springs
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:13:49 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greg MAHNEY wrote:

> I took part in my first motorkana on the weekend - great fun, but..
> in between events a couple of club members noticed how high the rear of my
> car sits.
>
> Inspection below revealed that the quarter elliptics point down towards the
> ground at the rear of the car ie rear end of rear suspension, instead of
> being sort of horizontal.  Note:  My Sprite is the only one I've ever
> looked underneath and it has always looked like it does now, so I'm just
> going on other's explanations.
>
> Everyone agreed that it looked very wrong, but there were differing
> opinions as the cause and cure.   Some thought the springs were broken,
> others that they "need to be reset by a springworks".  in the end I was
> just left confused.  Both sides look the same.
>
> I would appreciate the views on the list about what might be wrong.
>
> One thought I have had.   Is it possible to put the springs in upside down?

The Leafs (1/4) on both my Bugeyes do indeed point down at the axle
mount.
If your springs are relativly new, (past 10 years or so) the
replacements are way over sprung making our Bugeyes look like jacked up
little Chevys.
A good spring shop can de-arch your leafs to make the car sit level.
Look in the phone book under truck suspension or springs.

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs