RE: Chinese junk

To: "'b-evans@ix.netcom.com'" <b-evans@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Chinese junk
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:39:15 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bob,

You hit the nail on the head.  The issue is not where the part is made, the
issue is what standards the supplier uses when ordering production of parts,
and what quality checks they use when the parts are delivered.

I have a friend who worked for Moss in the mid-80s, and he when he needed
parts for his project car he would look through the parts bin and check to
see if the parts met spec.  When looking at oil pumps, most of the "brand
new" UK  made pumps were worse than his 20yr old oil pump from the car, with
regard to end float on the pump pieces.  His other advice was to make sure
to wash all the machining "swarf" (or junk to you and me) from the pump
before thinking about installing it on the car.  Again, UK made parts.

As enthusiasts the problem we face is that if Moss is not being diligent in
making sure the parts are correct, there aren't any other US suppliers who'd
have the "correct" part, unless you get lucky and they have a NOS part
kicking around.  We can threaten to take our business elsewhere (such as the
UK).  My experience with ordering from the UK included having to phone long
distance (the supplier's e-mail was "not working") and spending $50 to ship
3 lbs worth of parts from the UK to the Dallas area.  And you have no
guarantee that they're not getting parts from Moss Europe!

Is it maybe time to compile a list of suppliers who provide only quality
made parts?  And encourage those suppliers to not use Moss as one of their
suppliers?

Jim