RE: crankcase breather

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: crankcase breather
From: "Herold Faulkner" <faulkner@redshift.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:03:34 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,

I had a similar problem once with a car (American NOT LBC) that I had
overhauled.  It turned out that I had switched the crankcase breather with a
vacuum line.  Whenever I stepped on the brakes oil would get sucked into the
manifold causing a three state smog alert.  A friend of mine who was a real
mechanic diagnosed the problem when I told him there was a sucking noise
around the oil filler cap.

While I'm certain that you would not make such an error I would not say the
same for the DPO.  It would be easier to check this than to replace the PCV
valve.  Of course that much vacuum in the crankcase would pretty much
guarantee there would be no oil leaking out the rear seal....

Hal