Re: Judson/Overheating

To: dthompson@gbc.ca
Subject: Re: Judson/Overheating
From: GMari58175@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:44:14 EDT
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-07-16 09:37:21 EDT, dthompson@gbc.ca writes:

<< Ahh, George!  I'm so happy that you are acting as the guinea pig on this
one before I go down the Judson road.

 The instructions I got with my yet to be installed Judson state that carbs
are preset at the factory, no tweaking should be required. I assume, of
course, that you have the original Holley carb. Two things come to mind: is
your pulley/belt situation working well, or is there a too loose or too tight
situation? Second, we all know how timing can affect engine temperature.
Perhaps a full re-tune is in order? Does the engine seem to be running
smoothly and strongly other than the overheating? Is the supercharger getting
it's dose of Marvel Mystery Oil as required?

 If all else fails, you might want to call the expert, George at 860-355-2807.
He rebuilds them and knows a lot about them. I don't know if he would offer
tech advice to someone who did not buy from him though....

Daniel,
Your ideas are right on target.
1.  The Holley carb which I believe was rebuilt by George, required that I
punch out a spring retaining piece that was apparently brazed on covering the
original hole.
2.  The carb runs runs like crap and the throttle linkage as set up only gives
me about a third of the throttle.  I have to rework the set up to obtain full
movement.
3.  Will also check the timing and it also may be running a bit lean.
4.  Have heard from a lister that has installed numerous Judsons on 948's
without an overheating problem so will just have to play with it a bit more.
5.  It idils fine, but there is a dead spot starting from a dead stop.  Also
requires high revs when first starting out to keep it from conking out.
After the initial installation, just was fed up and quit for the night.  It
does look nice though.   Thanks for the advice.

george marinos
sprite (supercharged almost) MKII AN6
glen rock, nj