Re: SU damping

To: "Palmer Family" <amesfolks@snovalley.com>
Subject: Re: SU damping
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:21:21 -0700
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Barry,
        Could it be...my front piston is a 1/4" LOWER than the rear? Then look
for
vacuum leaks. All the air the engine wants must go through the carb throat
to lift the piston. Any leakage after the piston doesn't help.
When you adjusted the screws were the carbs independent of each other (undo
the connecting linkage)
Check for free piston movement as Jeff suggests. Is this a recent
development? or is it since some work? missing/wrong main spring?
Just some thoughts
Peter

At 02:11 PM 7/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hey listers, My rear piston on my SU carbs at any RPM is about a 1/4 inch
>higher than the front one.  I have tried all the screws, and have even
>adjusted the mixture to cure this problem. My question is, could it be the
>damper oil?  If they are at different levels, will one be higher??
>
>signed,
>BARRY PALMER
>amesfolks@snovalley.com
>72 MG Midget (Sparky)
>http://members.xoom.com/mgboy

Peter Caldwell
MGC-GT  , 100-4, '31 MM8 Cammy, Innocenti S,
'52 Champ, '60 L-R 109 SW, 3 '64-73 L-R 88's
nosimport@mailbag.com