Rear Spring Install Tip

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear Spring Install Tip
From: Jason Urban <jurban@pond.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:32:01 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi All!!

I also recently replaced the rear springs on the '65 and they haven't sagged
yet(hoping they're not cheap replacements!).

Anyway, I had trouble lining the rear axle U-bolts, also.  So my dad found
one of his rigged tools for who-knows-what - 2 U shaped metal pieces
connected by a long, thin bolt to form an "O".

The first step was to install the front of the spring, then line the axle
and U-bolts onto the spring.  The axle was not completely tightened, but
tight enough to line everything up and keep it from misaligning.  At the
rear of the spring, the shackle and top metal bracket were all attached to
the spring, but not the chassis.  The metal contraption was separated and
hung on the spring halfway between the axle and rear shackle.  A long(about
6 feet) pipe was inserted through the metal contraption, with one end under
the bottom axle plate and the other end out the back of the car.  An
assistant simply pushes down on the metal pipe allowing movement of the rear
shackle.  A large screwdriver can be used to turn the rear shackle up to
meet the "chassis" for mounting.  The assistant can raise and lower or move
the pipe side-to-side to meet all the bolts of the rear plate.

Hopefully this is clear!  Give a holler if you have any questions.

Jason.

|    Jason Urban - APOGEE LABS  215-699-2060     |
|    CA Studio  www.dynanet.com/~crackerarts     |
|  '95 Z/28 6spd  '65&'67 Austin-Healey Sprites  |