Leaking fuel pump

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Leaking fuel pump
From: shk <shk@qnet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 02:29:08 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have been trying to stop an oil leak from my fuel pump for a couple
of days now.  I rebuilt the engine a few months ago and put the pump
on with a gasket and Hylomar.  No problems with leaking.  A couple of
days ago I noticed a huge puddle forming below the car and traced the
problem to the fuel pump.  Seems when the engine is above 3000 RPM or
so oil would spray from the front fuel pump bolt.  I am talking
about a LOT of oil.  So I removed the pump and put it back on using
a new gasket and Aviation Form a Gasket (the stuff in the bottle with
a brush in the lid.)  Leaked worse and I now had a fuel leak too.  I
then took it back apart and discovered the screws that hold the fuel
pump together were too long and were obstructing the nuts on the
mounting studs.  Shorten the screws and then tighten them which fixes
the fuel leak.  Clean up the gasket and mounting surfaces, apply more
Aviation Form a Gasket and put back together.  Fuel leak is now fixed
and oil leak is much improved but is still a problem.  Instead of
spraying at high RPM it just leaks slowly at all RPM.

In many years of working on Sprites I have never had a major problem
with an oil leak around the fuel pump.  I checked the mating surface
on the pump it is not warped.  Is there something I am missing?  With
the large mating surfaces and the fact that the oil really isn't
pressurized I can't imagine why I am having so much trouble solving
this.

Shawn