1974 Midget Carb and Starting Follow-up

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1974 Midget Carb and Starting Follow-up
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:20:42 -0400
Cc: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Whew!  Have I ever been blessed with a ton of great advice lately.  Some
I've responded to individually if it seemed the advice was sent straight to
me rather than the list, but I'm not sure I kept up.  So a summary but HUGE
thank you to the whole list for their help on my recent questions.

Now briefly (what?  me being brief?  nah!) here's my planned course of action.

I agree with those suggesting a complete carb rebuild.  I'm pursuing two
different angles on this.  I've got the beginnings of a lead on a decently
priced set of carbs in good condition.  If that pans out I may just buy
them already set to go and just work on maintaining them properly.  The
other angle is that I just ordred a set of rebuild kits.  Could be for
these, could be for the new used set once they need 'em.

Alternator still needs to be tested to see if that is my charging problem.
I kind of hope so in spite of the cost of an alternator.  I'd have found
the problem and I think even I can change out the alternator.  :)  I have
checked most of the other things like battery, battery leads, ground
connection, etc.

Also, I've ordered points, condensor and rotor to go with my new spark
plugs and wires.  That and working on the timing should help my rough
running considerably.

Well, all your kindnesses deserve some sort of reward, so here it is...I'm
going on vacation.  From Saturday to a week from next Wednesday you won't
have to hear my cries for help!  :)  Enjoy the respite while you can as
I'll still have Thurs-Sun of time off left and will be working on the car.  :)