Re: Re: Windscreen Pillars

To: dwramsey@worldnet.att.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: Windscreen Pillars
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 04:03:18 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>>George, How do you explain that Horler says they are unpainted and my
original ones are also unpainted!  I can provide proof if needed. The revised
january 1997 concours restoration guide and inspection standards makes no
mention that the later pillars should be painted silver.  I guess this will go
with the "green" paint under my factory blue paint.  You supplied as evidence
your NOS in the box pillars, but these were not on a factory car, so the
question is when were they made?

Crash - We purchased two Sprites in Feb. 1960, mfg late 1959, and both had
silver painted windshield posts, indeed I am reasonably certain that every
Sprite in the showroom had silver windshield post.  I can only speak of our
cars and not when any changes were made.  George is right in that there were
production inconsistencies and they were not limited to Sprites but existed
throughout English auto manufacturing. As far as your green paint is concerned
I think you may be seeing the sanding primer.  At least our car had a coat of
red rust inhibiting primer, green sanding primer and the finished color.
This is in our restoration photo documentation.

Don't mean to add any more variables but -  -  -

Bob and Ann
60 Sprite