Re: Brass Nuts ....

To: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Brass Nuts ....
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:57:12 -0700
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
can't help it.....
        no joke.. perhaps an explanation. Apparently the brass tray used to hold
iron cannonballs on French ships was mis-pronounced "monkey" (who knows how
they spelled it). As they sailed north and got colder, the tray, with
depressions for the cannonballs, would contract more quickly causing.....
Probably a myth, but I like it.
        ps.   The nuts are brass so you will be able to remove them... and so
you
can strip them before you break the studs..... torque to yield?
---------- dave wrote
>.... and this has nothing to do with brass monkeys!
>
>Does anybody know why the manifold nuts on my '72 Midget are brass or if
>they really should remain that way?  Could it have anything to do with the
>rate of expansion due to the heat?
>
>Thanks
>dave
>nearly, almost done
>
>P.S. Anybody who posts a brass monkey joke in reply will suffer the plague
>of 100 MORE oil leaks.  Go ahead, make my day!
ah.... what's 10% more?
Cheers   Peter
Peter Caldwell
1 very rough Innocenti