Re: pistons

To: AHSprite78@aol.com
Subject: Re: pistons
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 03:11:47 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
AHSprite78@aol.com wrote:

> My cousin is rebuilding an MGB.  he has just removed the pistons from the
> engine and he says that they look burned, and have a lot of carbon deposits on
> them.  any ideas about what that could mean?

  (Sarcastically) Could mean the engine is in need of a rebuild. ;>

  Carbon deposits are normal. It's strange to have a LOT of it though,
normally only certain parts of the engine (read: corners of
the combustion chamber) can support permanent carbon
deposits.

  Any chance it's burned oil? Could be just oil leaking
in from the crankcase and burning messily on the pistons.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933