Re: Tires for a 77 Midget

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Tires for a 77 Midget
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:12:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bill,
if you have two tires that you want to keep, buy the other two to match in
size.
I assume you have rostyle wheels.
Original was 145-13.  People often install 155-13.  This is a little
higher, will give you more sidewall flex, throw your speedo off a tiny
bit, lower your rpm on the highway a little bit, but might look ok on a
"ridin' high" '77.
165-13 makes the car look like a tractor.
165/70-13 is a good choice.  Same diameter as a 145-13, but a little
wider.

There are some other choices, but they are more for a performance-modified
car.  165/65, 175/60, 185/60(again same diameter).

Ulix

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, William M. Gilroy wrote:

> Now that my car is about to be put on the road for the first time
> in six years I need to think about tires.  The spare might be
> an original :-) and the two back tires have a bunch of cracks
> running around the side walls.   The front tires seem to be
> intact, new with the little rubber fringes all around.  So, does
> anyone have any advice on what size and type of rubber for
> my Midget.  The car is in the US if that matters.  Thanks for
> any help.
>

> --
>
> Bill Gilroy
> E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com