Re: Sanding or Stripping?

To: John c Kahoon <john.kahoon@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Sanding or Stripping?
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompso@total.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 16:55:09 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
John c Kahoon wrote:

> Strip it ! the sand blast will heat and distort thin steel !
>
> john.kahoon@juno.com
> 71 midget
>
> On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 08:18:12 -0500 CMLove <cmlove@hiwaay.net> writes:
> >Hello listers;
> >
> >I will be doing some body work soon (this winter) and I am wondering
> >about the best way to prepare the body for painting.  I have heard
> >some
> >talk about paint strippers and others talk about sand blasting.  And
> >then there is just sand paper.  Is there a best way?  Which would you
> >use and when?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Monty Love
> >'74 Midget
> >'72 Parts

Done properly by people that know what they are doing, sandblasting is
very effective and will not distort metal.

Done by an inexperienced goofball who is trying to get the maximum
results in the minimum time..... disaster.

I suggest going to the best, most expensive restoration shop in your
area (any kind of car), you know, Pebble Beach stuff. Ask them who does
their sandblasting (they almost always contract it out due to the
difficulty of setting up for sandblasting and painting in the same
shop); then go to that person and ask for a quote on your shell (which
you have already stripped down to nothing but paint and rust
beforehand!).Be prepared to be surprised how much it costs when done
right.

Daniel Thompson
Speaking form experience