Re: Carpet adhesive - question

To: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>, Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Carpet adhesive - question
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 11:17:33 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have a suggestion:

Don't glue it *all* down.  I glued down *ALL* of my carpets except for
the footwells and I regret it to this day.  It's much more difficult to
clean the car adequately after your carpeting is glued down.  And, if
you happen to spill something, you won't be able to dry out whatever's
underneath.

I think that you should glue down the funky shaped ones that go on the
rear wheel arches, and the vertical bulkhead behind the seats, and the
part over the jacking tubes, but I wouldn't glue anything else down.
Most carpet kits (including the MOSS kit, I believe) come with snaps for
attaching the carpet to the car.  The holes should already be there
unless they've been filled.

The footwells I don't think should EVER be glued down as this are
frequently requires cleaning,  under the seats can be left unglued as
the seat rails whill hold this in place.  I think the carpeting on the
driveshaft tube will stay without glue, and I think there are snaps on
the horizontal square piece behind the seats and between the wheel
arches.

By the way, the glue I used I got from a carpet store.  It'll *NEVER*
come off except with solvent and I'll have to ruin the carpet pieces if
I ever want to remove them.  I forget what the glue was called.

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Good luck!  Have a good Labor Day!

Curt 'n Gert

--
Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty")