Sprite Odyseey Part 3c (long)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Sprite Odyseey Part 3c (long)
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 02:02:19 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The weather had turned warm with temperatures starting to push 100 so driving
the Sprite along with the RV to Oregon and back was out of the question.
Fortunately we finally located an open trailer at a reasonable rental price
and took off for Oregon.

The West Coast Meet was held at the Kah-Nee-Ta Resort on the Warm Springs
Indian Reservation.  The meet was absolutely dominated by the big
Healeys--about sixty cars as best as we could count.  We sort of felt like the
Lone Ranger and Tonto with only two other Bugeye Sprites and three flat sides.
One Bugeye was modified enough to be put in a Special Class.  We took first,
the only trophy, in the Popular Choice for Bugeyes and felt rather bad as the
other car was a very nice stock Red Sprite.  Come on Sprite owners lets get
them out for the 1999 West Coast Meet in San Diego!!  On the second day we
decided to go down where the Funkana was being held to watch that event.  We
got caught up in the moment and had a go at it, finishing Third.  Annice had
been relentlessly scouring the lodge for the items in the Scavenger Hunt and
finished in a four-way tie.  The third day was the rally and we did badly.
Guess we are just old time-distance-speed rallyists; we never seem to do well
with the instructions and questions type rally.  It was a nice drive, even if
we did do an extra eighty or so miles.  The guests for the meet were Margot
Healey along with John and Joy Healey.  What a summer, we got to talk with the
Healeys Gerry Coker and John Sprinzel!

After the West Coast Meet we had to return to Vernon, BC to turn in the rental
trailer and pick up our repaired trailer, after which we could turn around and
drive the same 600 miles for the third time.  At this point it was mostly just
driving the last 1,700 miles home from Vernon.  The temperature had been in
the 90-100 degree range going on nineteen days when we crossed out of the San
Joaquin Valley.  Once over the coastal range near Monterey, CA we picked up
the ocean breezes which brought the temperature down in the range to which we
are more accustomed.  This also gave us the opportunity to stop and spend a
few hours with Larry and Sandy Miller of the SPRIDGET news group and Pebble
Beach Sports Car Club.  This was a surprise visit and they had another
commitment but worked in a few hours to talk, look a pictures and let use see
how Larry’s car is coming along.  It is one of our delights to be able to
spend time with the Millers as we wander up and down the coast.

Finally on July 28 we were home and with mixed feelings.  The trip had been
terrific.  We met hundreds of people, made lots of new friends, and generally
had a great time.  In sixteen weeks our motorhome logged 11,400 miles and our
“trailer queen” (the Sprite) had 2000 additional miles.  We were in twenty
states, five Canadian Provinces and participated in two national, one regional
and one local Healey events, three British Car Days, two mixed car shows and
had the opportunity to at least share a meal, cars, and photos on seven
occasions with other Healey folks.  Thats almost one Healey activity per week
plus visits with friends and family.  What a time!!

It was nice to get home but almost immediately there was a longing to be on
the road again.  After only a week we were already looking at doing something
similar next year, and maybe managing to meet people in some of the places
that we had to bypass this time  Lets see, we could go to Kentucky and the
rest of Pennsylvania and . . . .

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite