Re: That time again...

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: That time again...
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 07:37:35 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It sounds like you are not going to be driving that car for quite a while. I
would take all of the hydraulic cylinders out right now, disassemble and
clean them, and store them disassembled and thoroughly soaked with oil in an
airtight container like a freezer bag. (Be sure to make very detailed
drawings and descriptions of how the parts go together.) Then don't put them
back together until you are nearly ready to begin driving the car. Nothing
goes bad as quickly as idle British hydraulic cylinders! Uh, be sure to
inspect the cylinders carefully; it may be that you might want to replace
some stuff anyway.

When it's time to reassemble the brakes, I'd put new kits in everything
except I would replace the rear wheel cylinders. And be sure to put new
hoses on everything; the hoses definitely rot out internally.

My 2 cents.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC