Battery choice, was: charge!

To: "Daryl and Jennifer May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery choice, was: charge!
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 11:19:28 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daryl,

I can't take much credit for the longevity. In fact, I run day and night
with the high beams. The GPO (good PO) and the GPO  before him kept the car
garaged and all maintenance done right. They even kept boring receipts
(like for an 11 yr old battery) long after their use had expired.

This begs the question: what battery does everyone prefer, and does it have
to be a group 26? The current battery is something called the Motivator,
65-26. Not sure what any of that means. In other cars, I've had two
Die-Hards that didn't even reach warranty, an Interstate that's on it's
seventh year (another 5 yr battery I think), and several off-brands.

I follow the spridget Haynes manual suggestion of putting batteries on 1.5
amp chargers quarterly (at least). I've done that since my first car ('66
Mustang; not that I even knew what a spridget was back then). With the
exception of the Die-Hards, I've always had batteries last a long time.

Jeff

>Jeff,
>
>If you disconnect your battery from the car, and apply the charger, and you
>find it draws current indefinitely (e.g., more than 2 amps after a day or
>so), then I think you have proved that the battery is dead.
>
>Having gotten 11 years out of the thing, I think you can probably claim a
>record, puff out your chest, and see if you can get a free replacement from
>the manufacturer in exchange for advertising!

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis
"Seeing the Future in a Very Tiny Way"