Elkhart Lake

To: "spridgeteers" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Elkhart Lake
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:03:30 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Just got back into Florida from the historic races at Road America in
Elkhart Lake WI.  I think I want my ashes scattered over that place.  A
beautiful track, great people, and the best Brats I've ever had.  Got a
chance to briefly meet Gary Speckman from Team Thicko.  Gary was in the
middle of some troubleshooting, and still had time to talk a bit.
Unfortunately we did not get to do a touring lap in Gary's bugeye (he was
out grabbing another engine for his car), but I did get to talk a while
with Gary's wife Susie.  Great people.  Everyone I was with agreed the best
racing of the day was Group 2, which had the Sprites (even the American
muscle car guys thought so).  Donato's Sprite looked great,  his car was
definitely in fine tune.  It sounded great.  I never did get to see Gar
again - the 2 "executives" I was with from a potential employer wanted to
go find more local beer after the 30 pack we came with ran out as the last
race finished.  The local bars are great - all you have do is ask in your
best Cheesehead accent "So how's the fishing, eh?" and you have an instant
conversation.

Everyone on this list has to get to Road America at Elkhart Lake someday
for a vintage race.  It's everything great about this hobby in one place.
I liked it so much I we're gonna move to the area (a 2 hr drive from
Elkhart) in a month or two.

Ron