re: Sway Bars

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Sway Bars
From: CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 98 17:03:48 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
  Hi Drew,
  I'd go with Ulix' advice.  Try a stock front bar first; especially
considering the prices you noted.
  My '73 has a stock front bar (with hard plastic bushings) and a very
small rear bar.  I like it.
  When I got the car it came with the rear bar and a very ugly, thick front
bar.  Neither of which was fully hooked up.  (Really sad -couple- of POs)
  I put on the stock front bar and fixed the rear one and have been quite
happy.  This supports Ulix's suggestion to only use a fat front bar if you
are also going to add a rear bar.
  A sway bar is made of basically the same steel as a coil spring, only
straightened out! :-)  It will eventually weaken, but it would take a LONG
time.
  IMHO: Definitely start with just a stock front sway bar.  (And make sure
you get -all- the little mounting bits with it.)
  Ed in NC