RE: Starter Questions: Midget 1500

To: "'Michael Graziano'" <mgrazian@ltcm.com>, MGList <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Starter Questions: Midget 1500
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:19:01 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Mike,

The gear assembly should move freely on the starter shaft.  The way it works
is that when you send power (electricity of course) to the starter motor the
shaft starts to spin, the assembly on the end resists spinning due to
inertia and the gear assembly moves into mesh with the flywheel.

One the engine starts moving faster than the starter motor the gear assembly
spins back out of mesh with the flywheel, otherwise you burn up the starter.

If you have the starter sitting on a workbench and hook some jumper cables
to a battery you should see that gear assembly "spin" it's way down the
shaft.  Just make sure the starter is held securely!

Jim