Re: Installing Steering Rack Boots

To: Don.Clark@fluordaniel.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Installing Steering Rack Boots
From: Greg MAHNEY <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 08:57:37 +0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Don

I did this job two weeks ago.

I'd bought a "universal" steering rack boot.  It too looked far too small.
On the particular type of boot I had there was the option to trim off about
3/8 of an inch - it was sort of stepped to allow this.  I could then just
stretch it, it was amazingly flexible.

I had removed the wheel, and was working from the side, and underneath the
car - I don't know if it would be easier working in the engine bay - my
method seemed to work fine.

Anyway, it went on, and I participated in a gymkana on the weekend and it
is still where it should be.

Good luck

Greg

At 4:51 PM -0400 5/10/98, Don.Clark@fluordaniel.com wrote:
>     I am replacing worn out the rubber steering rack boots on my '72
>     Midget.  I have finally removed the tie rod end on the driver side.
>     In sliding on the new boot, I have found that the large end of the
>     new boot is somewhat smaller than the end of the metal steering
>     housing.  The engine is in place and I have not removed the radiator.
>     It appears to be a two person deal to stretch the end of the boot over
>     the end of the the metal housing.  Any suggestions before I remove the
>     radiator?
>
>     Don
>     '72 Midget

Greg Mahney in Perth, Western Australia.

Mk 2A, Sprite, with a 948 engine (and it's my wife's anyway!)

e-mail:  mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au