Re: Distributor problems

To: midgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Distributor problems
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 13:20:04 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
This is a follow up to my distributor problems that I was having several
weeks ago.

One of the listers was nice enough to swap my wobbling dizzy with one
that worked fine.  When he was doing the swap, he found that my old
dizzy had advance weights that were for 23 degrees.  The most he
every saw in a sprite was about 18 degrees.  I was just curious, does
anyone know if 23 degrees of advance was standard on any MGBs or
spridgets?   The dizzy was from 1974 according to the date stamped
on the body.

I ran into one problem when installing the new dizzy. It  was when I removed
the dizzy I unbolted the whole dizzy housing(?) from the block.  When I got
home I figured that the metal housing needed to be cleaned so I removed it
from the dizzy.  When I re-assembled the unit, I assembled the base and
clamp without the dizzy in place.  This caused the dizzy to sit high and
not fully engage the driving dog.  So after a few mins. of running without
the dizzy fully tightened it worked its way up and stopped spinning.  What
I had to do was assemble the whole unit together off the car and then I
could get the dizzy to sit squarely on the housing and clamp.  I hope this
is clear.

The car runs better now.  I need to fine tune the timing and carbs and
give it a good road test.

Bill

--
William M. Gilroy