Re: DOT 3 fluid different in USA to UK

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: DOT 3 fluid different in USA to UK
From: rickfisk <rickfisk@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:47:06 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daniel,

DOT 3 brake fluid in England must be very different from the DOT 3 we have here
in
the U.S.  I bought my '59 Sprite in January of 1968 and a few weeks later
rebuilt
the hydraulic system.  Not knowing any better, I used U.S. spec DOT 3 brake
fluid.  Less than a week later every piece of rubber in the brake and clutch
system had turned into soft goo, almost liquid.

I went to the local MG dealer to buy more rebuild kits and the mechanic there
told
me that English cars used natural rubber components in their hydraulic systems
while U.S. cars used neoprene components, hence different fluid specs.  They
also
sold me some Lockheed brake fluid <g>.

Rick
'59 Bugeye