Odd Vibration

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Odd Vibration
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:20:13 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I'm seeking the wisdom of the list in efficiently tracking down a new
vibration in my '77 Midget.

This weekend, we noticed an odd vibration with the following
characteristics:

1)  Only present when drivetrain is under load (Coasting in neutral, no
vibration.  Engine speed matched to car speed, no vibration.  Braking, no
vibration.  Accelerating, vibration.  Engine braking, vibration.)
2)  Rate is relative to road speed rather than engine speed, but seems
slower than wheel rotation rate.

I'm currently suspecting either: (A) a u-joint in the driveshaft is
binding, or (B) the rear transmission mounts have gone bad.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net