Re: MG Register

To: "Jeff Zurschmeide" <zurschmeidej@interactivenw.com>, "'CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM'" <CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM>, "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MG Register
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:35:12 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
For the last year, I have been running my own private registry of RWA
Midget VIN numbers, mostly collected from the e-mail list and from personal
observation at car shows.  I have been doing the same thing for BJ8 Big
Healeys for exactly the same amount of time.  It's curious, but I currently
have a record of 731  BJ8 Healeys while the Midget totals stand at ,  20
'72s, 23 '73s, and 13  '74s.    That's quite a difference.  There really
don't seem to be that many RWA Midgets still around -- or the owners are
peculiarly reluctant to publish their VIN numbers.

My feelings on VIN numbers are that the number is what makes a car an
individual.  It can have all kinds of paint jobs and tons of owners during
its life, but it generally only has one number, and that is the only hope
anybody has of tracing its history.  I don't own just any old  '73 Midget,
I'm proud to say I own GAN5UD126009G.  I would think this is a number that
any Midget owner would know without having to look it up, but then I'm
known to be odd.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain