Re: Octane ratings

To: AHSprite78@aol.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Octane ratings
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:44:43 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

<<As my 2 year restoration comes to an end I was leafing through one of the
many
manuals that I have and noticed that they recommended the use of 100+ octane
gas in performance engines and 94 octane for normal engines.  What does
everyone on the list run?  Is the manual correct?>>

FWIW:

Long ago and far away we ran nothing but 100+ octane in our car, 8.8:1
compression.  After re tuning the car for the different octanes we found that
we got better performance and gas mileage with the higher octane.  The mileage
made up for the difference in price  -- 32 cents vs.  35 cents per gal.
After bring the car back from hibernation and making it no-lead compatible we
have only run the highest octane we can find at regular gas stations, 87 to 92
octane.  The car has run alright but the gas mileage has dropped from the mid
to high 30's down to the mid 20's.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)