RE: Front Suspension Rebuild

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, ckotting@iwaynet.net, ulix@u.washington.edu
Subject: RE: Front Suspension Rebuild
From: MIKE MACLEAN <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:27:11 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chris, Ulix and everyone else that wondered what the heck I was talking
about,
  Last week I asked the list if there was anyone that knew why my
kingpin trunnion and shock lever arm would not line up on my rebuild of
the front supension.  I got some good suggestions, none of which
worked.  What I finally discovered was due to a little deductive
reasoning and some prompting from my local resident Healey restoration
expert.  If all the parts going back together were the same parts that
came apart for rebuilding and repainting, they should go back together!
It seems that the right front shock that I sent to Worldwide for rebuild
had a pinchbolt broken off and frozen inside the end of the arm, so they
replaced the arm.  No big deal, right?  Wrong!  The shock lever was
replaced with what appears to be an MGA shock lever!  They are not
dimensionally the same, almost but not.  I found this out by fitting an
old front Bugeye RH
shock in my rebuilts palce and everything lined up perfectly.  Nice to
have friends with a barn full of old Healey parts.  Anyway, I replaced
the arm between the two shocks and all is well.  Thanks to Chris and
Ulix for trying to help.  I'm sure there will be something else you can
help me with as I'm just stsrting to assemble this car.
                                                           Mike
MacLean-60 Sprite