Re: Disk brakes, heater.

To: "Herold Faulkner" <faulkner@redshift.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Disk brakes, heater.
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:50:21 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
If you are converting to disk brake front end, then I do think you
should use the MkIII/IV rear brakes as well and the MkIII/IV master
cylinder.

I have the Cabon/Kevlar pads and shoes (from Speedwell). they are the
best brakes I have ever had on a spridget - even better than the big disk
conversions.

Normal pedal pressure is lower, ultimate braking force is higher, they
seem almost fade-proof. They are expensive, but I think they are well worth
it.

The bad news is that at least the compound I have (race) eat rotors for
breakfast if you use them on the road. Two rotors for one set of pads
(but that was over 2 years). Since I have gone to single-use (track only),
the rotor wear rate has been must more reasonable.

The local guy I have spoken to has two compounds - street and track. I've
ordered a street set for my road/rally bugeye. He tells me that the street
set
will fade if used on the track, but do not chew the rotors when used at
cooler
temps (i.e. street).

I still have the race compound on my racecar.

Mike