Quick hood (vinyl top) question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Quick hood (vinyl top) question
From: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:19:25 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Greetings fellow Spridgeteers.

I am in the process of spiffing up my white '78 RB for the
cool weather driving season. I have had the car a little
over a year and the 10+year old top which came with the
little guy shrunk this summer and the window turned red and
cracked.

Serendipitously, about a month ago, a stranger knocked on my
front door and handed me a new vinyl top, saying that he had
sold his Midget  three years ago and was just glad to see
one still on the road. I was blown away.

Today, I had a local upholstery shop put the new top  on.

The fit is tight. It is difficult to close and latch (even
in my warm garage.)  The frame seems not to be unfolding
fully. The small bar parallel to and immediately behind the
header rail only partially indents the vinyl, leaving the
top rather flat. I am wondering if the vinyl was not cut a
bit short.

Here is my question:

Does the vinyl stretch as it breaks in or does it only
shrink?

This is my first ever new top so I don't know  what to
expect. Should I go back and ask that the fit be loosened
(If this is indeed possible at this point) or not  worry,
expecting the top to stretch?

Any wisdom and experience shared will be gratefully
appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Brown
Palmdale, CA