Re: Painting parts

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Painting parts
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:59:28 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, William M. Gilroy wrote:

> 1.  What is the best way to prepare the surface?

Sandblast or wire brush on angle grinder.

> 2.  What type of primer and paint?

Cheap: spray can primer and spray can semi gloss black by same
manufacturer.
Durable: compressor and expensive primer (ask your paint supplier) and
paint.  Or even better, have everything powder coated (they will sandblast
too).

> 3.  What is the most durable?
> 4.  Should special paint be used for higher temp. items such as
>     radiator shrouds, coolant overflow containers, etc.

I have read that there is speacial radiator paint that aids in heat
exchange!

> I was just going to clean off all of the grease, remove the loose paint
> and rust with a wire brush, and spray it with a can for rust-o-lem (sp?)

I would use wire bruch on an angle grinder, not a drill, it makes a huge
difference.  With the grinder you can easily remove all the paint and rust
on the surface.  Then use primer and paint.

                                                           '67 Sprite