RE: soundproofing a Sprite, can it be done?

To: "Elliott, Patrick" <PElliott@attws-wr.swest.attws.com>
Subject: RE: soundproofing a Sprite, can it be done?
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 13:13:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, "'Evangelos G. Makris'" <emakris@hol.gr>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I just talked this over with a friend of mine who is a acoustics/vibration
engineer.
He educated me that in a car, the biggest problem is that vibration of the
engine/transmission/drivetrain causes body panels to vibrate, creating the
noise. That's why cars use these heavy nasty mats stuck to the metal, to
dampen the vibration of the panels.
So, putting carpet padding under carpet will absorb some of the sound
being transmitted through the air, but heavy mats stuck directly to the
metal will prevent a lot of the noise from being created.

I used carpet padding under my transmission tunnel carpeting to quiet
some transmission noise. It worked very well, but Spridgets already have
heavy pads on the tunnels anyway.

Ulix

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Elliott, Patrick wrote:

> Well, I bought some carpet padding with a metalized coating on it (JC
> Whitney) which lines the entire cockpit. I also put sound deadening pads
> in the doors. I put a carpet kit over all of this. I also carpeted the
> boot. I can hold a clear conversation while cruising along at 40 mph.

                                                           '67 Sprite