Re: LBC list prices when new

To: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: LBC list prices when new
From: Profili <pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 12:31:11 -0500
Cc: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Mike Ellsworth <mikeells@shianet.org>, Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>, Spridget mail list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Unfortunately, BL revived the Princess name for it's 'luxury' Austin
model in the 70s.  Was that a horrible car or what (British list members
will know what I'm talking about).

And, yes, Vanden Plas is merely a trim package on the Jags.  These were
(maybe still are - I don't know)  Daimlers in the UK but, as Mercedes
Benz owns the Daimler name in the US, BL used their ownership of the
Vanden Plas name to differentiate the 'basic' Jags from the 'deluxe'
versions.  On the (Series 3) XJ6, all it boiled down to was some fancier
(more burl) wood veneer, different rear seat and different door trims.
Oh and, I almost forgot, some really awful deep pile floor mats.  The
Vanden Plas cars also had a Limited Slip Diff as standard, and some
different colour options.

Phil

Peter wrote:

> Frank,
>         There were several Princesses. Yours being.....um.... commonest in the
> MG1100/1300 America "family" as Austin Princess. There was a Vanden Plas
> Princess in the 40's-50's-60's with various much larger engines.... 3 litre
> and 4 litre. I have a picture of a '48 Austin Princess 120hp 6-cyl 119"
> long ("a long wheel base is available"!!) In '48 it sold for $6325.00. This
> is the only one that I have a picture of. I've sold parts for the 4 litre
> variety, which I suspect is the $30,000 model you mentioned. The Vanden
> Plas name also comes up in the Jaguar line, even currently. I'm not sure if
> it is any more than a deluxe trim package, however. I'd like to know more.
> Peter C
> ------------------------------------
> At 11:04 PM 11/3/98 -0500, Frank Clarici wrote:
> >Does anyone know what
> >> a Princess is?
> >>

> >Yes I know what a Princess is.
> >It is (was) basically an MG1100 with wool carpets, leather seats, fold
> >down picnick tables, fancier grille work, driving lamps, and so on.
> >I happened to buy a 63 MG Princess Vanden Plas off the back of a junk
> >car hauler for $75 a few years back. I put a battery in it and cleaned
> >up the points on the fuel pump and drove it around for a month before I
> >sold it. I entered it in 2 local car shows, it was in very good shape
> >but did need a clutch (slipage)
> >After I sold it I found out that the MKI Princess Vanden Plas was worth
> >near 30,000 dollars (US) and I sold it for the same $75 which was what I
> >paid!!! I did keep the new battery.
> >The buyer started restoration but got divorced and I think the car was
> >scrapped. I still have the original engine and drivetrain (Mini set up)
> >With the chrome Princess valve cover (which fits a Sprite)
> >The car was a 4 door MG1100 with a Mini engine (front wheel drive).
> >I wish I had restored that insted of the Mini which I really hated.
> >
> >sorry for rambling, I hope everyone now knows what a princess was.
> >
> >Frank
>
> Peter Caldwell
> 1 very rough Innocenti
> (the Sprite with an accent)