Re: '74 Midget Electrical & Gas Tank Update

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: '74 Midget Electrical & Gas Tank Update
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 23:49:38 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Many thanks for the suggestions that are coming in for my two problems.
> I've ordered a gaggle of parts from Motorhead partly to diagnose my
> tach/fuel guage fuse blowing problem.  Among these are a new brake light
> switch as mine has had the two spades bent around too much for me to like.
>
> BTW, anyone tell me if it matters which wire goest to which terminal on the
> brake light switch?  (Hoping this might be my problem.)  If the wires are
> crossed will the a) circuit work, but blow often,, b) circuit not work at
> all or c) work perfectly fine?

It should not matter which way the wire are connected.  The switch when
released closes the connection between the two wires.

> I also ordered about 10 fuses so I can blow a bunch in trying to diagnose
> the problem.
>
> On the fuel situation, I'm talking with Motorhead.  I understand that the
> gas tank proper for the car is no longer manufactured and that some sort of
> modification to the one that is available is required.  I've got Jeff at
> Motorhead saying, "yeah, we'll do that for you", but I haven't had someone
> get back to me with a price yet.  Anyone enlighten me as to the exact
> nature of the modification?  Has it something to do with venting the tank?

Eastwood makes a kit for lining old gas tanks. It includes cleaner and
sealer.  I think it will seal pin holes, but you will have to check.  I
would
guess (and it is just a guess) that if the smell of gas is strong in the
boot it might either be a faulty filler house, the hoses on the vapor
recovery system (if you car has one, mine were rock hard and full of
cracks), rust holes in the top of the tank, or a faulty seal on the sender
unit.  If you drop the tank make sure it is empty and just use a floor
jack to lower it after you unbolt the tank.  Don't forget to disconnect the
sender wire.  Gook luck and keep on the list after you get to KC. I have
the Eastwood kit in my garage but I have not used it yet.  When I do
I will post the results.

> Philip
> 1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget - Jack, because it spends lots of time on jack stands