Re: Bugeye Brake Conversion

To: autox@earthlink.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bugeye Brake Conversion
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:38:05 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
B&A wrote

<<> Scott,

>> It may depend on what year master cylinder unit you have.  We installed a
late
>> 1967 unit with out any cutting but did need an adapter plate.  If you are
>>using this master cylinder we will be glad to describe in detail the
>> installation.

Scott wrote

>Aha! This is what I had envisioned originally - I THOUGHT this was to be
>basically a bolt-in operation, but did not know about the differences in the
>pedal assemblies. I really do NOT want to do ant cutting, but would like to
>convert to the cheaper and easier to fix two master cylinder system.

>Please do share any information on this exchange. It will fit into the
existing
>body structure without removing any metal (which the SCCA autocross rules
>don't allow anyway)?

>Was the adaptor plate something you made, or purchased?

We have received a number of request about this installation and are going to
work on a detail write up with photos for PDLJMPR (if they will take it:-))
The brief version is the adapter plate is just a piece of 1/16" sheet aluminum
cut and drilled to fit the foot well opening.  You can use the blank off plate
on the passengers side as a pattern.  The adapter plate needs to be flat so
just using another blank off plate will not work.  New bolt holes have to be
drilled in the footwell to accommodate the '67 master cylinder assembly (67
mca).  These are located by aligning the front edge he 67 mca mounting bracket
with the front edge of the adapter plate.  The 67 mca will straddle the
adapter plate.  The 67 mca is wider and shorter than the footwell opening but
the only critical part is where the peddles pass through the footwell.  With
the 67 mca and adapter plate aligned mark out and remove from the adapter
plate the area for the peddles to pass through. The primary thing that the
adapter plate does is cover up the footwell opening.  Bolt the adapter plate
with a 1/16" cork gasket to the footwell then do the same thing with the
master cylinder assembly.

>Did you need to change any brake lines?>>

We did this change over about 20 years ago so do not remember for sure but we
think we kept the same brake lines.

Hope this helps.  If you ever head over to San Diego lets get together.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)