King Pin Shims?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: King Pin Shims?
From: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 13:20:20 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Good subject,
Well then how do you know if you're shimmed correctly and what size should
they be?
One of my kingpins didn't have the hole on the top, for the cotter pin, so I
used a Nyloc nut, but I'm not sure how tight it should be?
My thrust washers are both the same size, to thick, (any one know what they
should be?) and when I tightened the Nyloc nut too tight I could compress
the lower grease seal to almost nothing, but I know that after a little
driving it (the lower grease seal) would disintegrate to mush, so I backed
off a bit.
In my case I think the PO changed the trust washers to ones that are too
thick because no contact is being made between the upper shim and the
trunnion collar.
Anyone deal with this before?

-Drew '62MKII Sprite