Re: Ideas for quicker engine starting?

To: "John C. Gottstein" <gottstein@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Ideas for quicker engine starting?
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 15:12:01 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

John C. Gottstein wrote:

> I would say it takes about 20-25 turns of the key
> before the engine even turns over.

I hope you mean....."fires". The engine is rotating but just not igniting,
right?

If you are turning the key and *nothing* is happening, you look to the
switch, battery, and starter.

If the engine turns over, but does not "catch" or "fire", then you look to:

1. Ignition and/or timing (points, coil, wires, cap, etc.). If high miles,
it might even lead to a loose timing chain.

2. Fuel (got some?). Fuel pump, float level, needle adjustment. Will it
fire very quickly with 'priming' (squirt some special starter fluid into
each carb and try it)?

3. Compression. Do a compression check. If the head gasket blows between #2
and #3 cylinder, it may at times run OK, but be hard to start. Check the
valve clearances.

> Any insight into how to achieve more
> successful starts would be appreciated.  I just changed the plugs, so
> that didn't do anything.

How did the old ones look? Clean and dry, or fouled with black stuff? Were
they 'cooked'?

> As you can tell I'm not the most mechanically inclined out of all of
> you, but I sure am learning.

Just start checking, most likely first, on through the list. It will be one
of the above. Once you've done it, you add to your storehouse of knowledge.
Note - it *never* ends........

Anything I forgot, "list"?

Scott Meyers
60 Bugeye