Rear Axel Bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear Axel Bearings
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 20:59:32 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi List,

We are about to put our car up on stands to do some maintenance and have a
couple of questions concerning the rear axles / bearings, 60 Sprite, wire
wheels with the shorter banjo.  One of the things we are going to do is try
and stop the oil leaks which has already been covered by the list.  The other
items came up last week when we changed the differential from the 4.22 to a
3.9.   This was labeled BTA 1224; 10-39 rather than BTA 1223 as had been noted
by the list, just an Interesting observation.  Did not do anything about the
oil leaks because we wanted to drive it the next day on a 150 mile or so tour.
Finally to the questions.  When re- installing the axles the right side slid
right into place but the left one stopped dead about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch
short of home.  The axle did not move when tapped with a rubber mallet and
sounded like it was against solid metal, which is not reasonable. Same axles
just a different differential.  Finally took it home by pulling it in with the
lug nuts, not a warm feeling.  Why would this happen?  Second item, when fully
assembled the wheel has about 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch top to bottom play.  The
axle bearing is the only thing we can see that would allow this play.  Any
thoughts?

TIA

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)