Re: Front Suspension Update

To: Larry and Sandi Miller <millerls@msn.com>
Subject: Re: Front Suspension Update
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 23:08:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Larry,
there almost has to be something binding.  One test would be to set the
car down on the wheels and roll it forward a couple of feet, than try your
first test again.
This is based on the fact that the only differences between your two
scenarios are the points of support at the time of starting the jacking.
When you set the car down on its wheels you load the suspension
crossmembers and joints in different ways than when the supension is
hanging down.
Hard to explain my point here...
Ulix

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Larry and Sandi Miller wrote:

> You guys are going to think I'm nuts I'm beginning to think so myself.
>
> All wheels on the ground, upper control arm on the stops. I can put a floor
> jack under the kingpin and one stroke lifts both wheels off the ground.
>
> All wheels off the ground, two jack stands in back, one centered in front,
> wheels off. I can put a floor jack under the kingpin and compress the spring
> on either side.
>
> WTF?
>
> Larry Miller

                                                           '67 Sprite