Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stuck head, 77 Midget, the saga continues
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:41:16 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi again. How many miles are on that 1500? Original head gasket with twenty
one years on it. Wowsers.  If you get another fiber gasket (what you
described) you might spray it with silver spraypaint, or spray copper
sealer.It helps seal it and allow it to come off again if need be. I use the
newer style gaskets, they have a slippery plastic like surface instead of the
"cardboard" looking stuff. They also seem to seal the coolant better.
Ive heard different stories about both gaskets, but after spending a good
portion of a day with a wire wheel, a gasket scraper, and a small hammer
trying to get all the old baked on fiber off the cylinder head, I decided I
would rather spend my time fixing the engine rather than removing stuck
gasket.
One other point I would suggest looking at. On all three of my 1500 blocks
there is what appears to be a pilot hole drilled approxamately 3/8 diameter
and about 1/2 inch deep on the edge of the front and rear cylinders of the
block. Towards the passenger or carburetor/exhaust side of the block. These
are drilled so close to the edge of the recess for the combustion ring that on
my engine they allowed the ring to "burn out" and blow into that small hole.
After noticeing this on two head gaskets (which were replaced for un- head
gasket related reasons) I decided to clean these little holes out and fill
them with JB weld and file them smooth. This gave support to the combustion
ring on the head gasket. The last time I pulled the head the gasket was in
perfect shape at these two points. I would be interested to know if anybody
else has seen this before. I am sure somebody has besides me.
Gary
75 Midgets
With hardened valve seats, flat top pistons, ten under crank, allison ignition
and a DGV hanging over a chrome plated header directed through a walker
resonator designed for 2.2 turbo chrysler K series cars. (they will have to
pry my cold dead fingers off that steering wheel someday! ;^)