Re: Spridgets and RC40

To: ulix@u.washington.edu, Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk
Subject: Re: Spridgets and RC40
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 16:15:06 EST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Ulix, Guy & List,

On my car it is fairly loud because the engine develops over a 100 horsepower.
However, if you use the front box as well and have less than a 100 horsepower
the noise levels (I'm advised) are ok.  There are however, noisier exhausts
that cost more money and sap more power

As far as what it sounds like this in part depends on what cam is in the
engine, the longer the duration of the cam the deeper the exahust note - mines
uses a MD286.  My personal opinon is that it sounds great.

The RC40 is the name give to the exhaust system, or just boxes or back box
only that is featured in David Vizard's book 'How to Tune BL's A Series
engine' as flowing more air (gas) than any other silencer (first/blue
edition).  The later/yellow edition of the book also give details of another
silencer - the Cyclone Sonic Turbo which flows more air/gas but I think has
been unavailable for some years now.

In past years the RC40 has been criticised for indifferent build quality
resulting in either a noisy unit or one that stiffles power.  I have not found
this to be the case personally and given the relatively loss cost of the unit
you cannot complain.  More recently a superior twin box race system has been
popular at least among 1300cc mini racers but I for one haven't bothered to
adapt one for my car because the cost is high and I would almost certainly be
better off spending the money elsewhere on the car until I can get 130+bhp out
of it - not easy on a road car with a 286 cam.

In the UK you can get the system from Mini Spares, tel: 0181 368 6292 or their
Birmingham or Northern outlet (obviously Mini Mania in the USA).  Probably a
lot of other companies stock it to - but remember to be clear about whether
you want the full system, twin boxes, or rear box only.

Daniel1312