Re: Metric or standard?

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Subject: Re: Metric or standard?
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 17:53:47 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
J. Adrian Barnes wrote:

> I have had two 75's and a '78, and one thing has always puzzled me...are
> these cars metric or standard (nuts and bolts)?

They are NOT metric. Here in the US, we got our measurements from the
Brits back around 1776 or so. Some fuel system parts are in fact
Witworth but nothing a good pair of pliers can't handle.
90% of the bolts and nuts are 7/16" 1/2", and 9/16" wrench size that is.
Most of the bolts are fine thread like 1/4 x 26, 5/16 x 24, and 3/8 x
24.
SU carb jet retainer nuts are witworth as is the fuel line at the tank.
Earlier SUs (1 1/8") have witworth float bolw bolts too.
If it is metric, somebody changed it along the way. (I have seen this
too)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ