Re: Bingo!?, was: Re: brake clunk

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bingo!?, was: Re: brake clunk
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 12:59:28 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jeff,
        Got it, thanks for the clarification. There should not be any
"significant" up-and-down play or play between the steel backing edges (top
and bottom vs. in and out) and the casting. That _can_ give you the clunk.
Now, how many thousandths is a "significant"? Dunno. I also don't think the
retainer spring bit can rid you of that end-play. Anyone else?
        Off the brake issue, wire wheels? loose knock-offs? loose lug bolts?,
etc?
Random thoughts again. HTH    Peter C

At 01:29 PM 12/1/98 -0500, Jeff Boatright wrote:
>Peter,
>
>Sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm not trying to gop the goo to fill a
>gap. What I meant was that the sticky goo is providing some
>friction/cushion between the caliper puck and the back of the pad such that
>the pad does not shift in the caliper. When the goo dries and more or less
>loses its stickiness, the pad can then move more freely, resulting in a
>clunk when transitioning between forwad and reverse motion. Just a theory
>waiting to be slaughtered by a cruel set of facts.
>
>I'm not so certain that calipers in good condition are that cheap or
>available, but I'd be happy to be enlightened. In any event, my calipers
>look good, with no obvious material loss. My main concern is that this
>clunk had a finite beginning. Something has changed. I am continuing to
>look for the source...
>
>Thanks for all input,
>Jeff
...... snipped....