DPO story

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: DPO story
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:15:26 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The DPO of my '66 Sprite used to drive the car during his college years
in Berkeley, CA.  As he parked his car on the streets, he had a problem
with people stealing his trim pieces, taillight lenses, headlights etc.
 So he drilled a hole in each of the headlight trim rings, and the
chrome taillight lens holders, and screwed a sheet metal screw loaded
with epoxy directly into the body of the car!  Naturally, these were all
located on abrupt curves of the body pressings and therefore more
difficult to fill and fix.

Also, he epoxy'd the front, rear, and dashboard "sprite badges" to the
car, so when it came time for repainting/refinishing these broke upon
removal and had to be replaced.

He also installed a radio in the car by bending the underside of the
passenger side dashboard horizontal, so he could bolt his radio directly
to the underside of the dash.  I guess he didn't want to bother with one
of those slide-out radio trays they used to make, he just bent the dash
and hid the radio out of sight up under there.

He was slightly disturbed and once etched the word "TRASHED" in the hood
with a screwdriver!  I had to repaint anyway and the etching didn't cut
into the metal, but still it was pretty unsightly when I first got the
car.

I think I had the worst of the DPO's.  Anyone want to challenge me?

Curt

--
Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty")