Re: More on fans/radiators

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More on fans/radiators
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:30:16 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
With a conventional crossflow radiator, you can use the engine
fan (which does *pull* the air through the radiator) with
an electric fan which pushes the air through (and is of course
mounted in front of the radiator).

I haven't done it, but I did consider it as a backup on the competition
bugeye in case the electric fan fails on a multi-day event. I take a spare
electric fan instead.

Without good shrouding, neither fan is very effective - when I acquired
my racecar (my first spridget) it always had overheating problems. These
problems were completely solved with the addition of an allow shroud that
I belted and riveted in about 20 minutes. It was ugly but very effective.
I was careful to avoid any air leakage b/n the fan and the radiator -
silastic
and rubber did the trick.

Mike