Hot n' cold in Greece was Re: Radiator

To: emakris@hol.gr, Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hot n' cold in Greece was Re: Radiator
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:14:38 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 08/12/1998  12:30:19PM, you write:

<< 66 Sprite 1275 Marina engine, downflow rad, 74C thermostat,
 high capacity water pump (GWP134)>>

This pump if the same as fitted to the Metro etc was generally used with the
big pulley - probably even designed for use with it.  I have found the engine
in my car ran hotter with the small pulley and I did back to back testing.

Try a big pulley first as it is cheapest

There is a product on the market, at least in Europe, called 'water wetter'  I
have no personal experience of it but have heard good reports.  The coolant is
supposedly more effective when the 'water wetter' is added.

Try this second as it is probably next cheapest.

If the engine is hot with two fans I would just check that the electric fan is
wired correctly.  I did once have mine running against the air flow and had an
overheating problem till I reversed the connections.

Try Mike's idea with fan shrouding - perhaps initially making a fan shroud out
of cardboard to test the idea.

Are you certain the temperature guage reads correctly?  To test, remove the
pressure cap and not the temperature the engine boils at according to the
gauge.

Remove the radiator and give it a good back flush.  If there is crap and
sediment in there it will not work properly.

 < I hate turning the electric fan on because although effective,
 it makes a horrible whining noise that is unbearable.>

Get a bigger better electric fan or fit 2 small fans if possible.

 <Had the same problem with my Mini, took the rad to a good
 rad shop and they installed a larger core (growth towards the
 wing - there was space), problem solved.>

Some modern cores are more efficient while not physically taking up and more
space - shop around for a decent rad shop.

 Finally, blow the expense and get a Frontline Competition radiator for
Christmas.

 Daniel 1312