Re: Insurance for a daily driver

To: "'Carlson, Rob'" <rcarlson@csw.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance for a daily driver
From: "R. C. Brown" <rcbrown@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:07:37 -0600
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Rob,
I have a Bugeye and a 3000 that I have had insured a daily drivers so
that we could drive them to work on a regular basis during the good
weather. Classic insurance has restrictions on how you use the car as
well as total mileage per year. I had both cars insured for cash value,
in the long run I was way wrong. be sure you have a stated value policy
of some kind. There was a thread on this some months ago.

Anway, I did not have a current appraisal on file with my agent and
suffered when the 3000 took a dive in a pond (long story). The company
based their payment on some "book" value. The value as atleast 50% a
realistic estimate. I then went thru an appeal process where thay had
an appraiser and I had an appraiser. After the two appasials (very
different numbers) a mediator ruled in favor of the insurance company
appraisal based on his convoluted logic. I ended up with a settlement
that was well below current value.

I have canceled my daily driver policy and am going with classic
insurance and will work around the restrictions.

Bob