Re: champion N5 ?

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: champion N5 ?
From: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 09:14:39 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Evangelos,
        A couple of tips. N = 14mm thread x 19mm reach (3/4") so any Champion
plug
Nxxx will "fit".
NxYx Y= projected tip. Usually recommended for LBCs and many cars. NxYC C=
copper center electrode is supposed to provide a wider heat range. In NGK
B= 14mm thread (Champs N) P= projected tip (Champs Y) E= 19mm (3/4") reach
(Champ N).
N5 is an older designation. Now it would be N5C or N5YC. (Champion has
finally come around to copper. NGK was the major copper proponent 30 years
ago.)
N5YC = NGK BP6ES (S = standard tip diameter).
The number is the heat range. In Champion, the HIGHER number the HOTTER the
plug. NGK the LOWER the number the HOTTER the plug... go figure.
I question the 5 heat range for standard use. I always used to sell N9Y.
AND, believe it or not, that also = NGK BP6ES. NGK, allegedly because of
copper, NGK always had a much wider heat range than Champion.
Oh, by the way..... any of the above might also have an R (ex. RN5YC or
BPR6ES) which indicate a resistor. Good idea to have, doesn't affect
performance.
        Oh, and BOSCH would be W7DC. (details on Bosch on request)
 I hope this helps more than confuses.
Cheers  Peter C